"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." ~ Matthew 5:8

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lady Jane Grey



“Seventeen-and knew eight languages-in music peerless-her needle perfect, and her learning beyond the churchmen; yet so meek, so modest, so wife-like humble to the trivial boy mismatched with her for policy! I have heard she would not take a last farewell of him; she feared it might unman him for his end. She could not be unmanned-no, nor outwoman’d. Seventeen-a rose of grace! Girl never breathed to rival such a rose; rose never blew that equaled such a bud?”

            --Alfred, Lord Tennyson, about Lady Jane Grey. 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, such a lovely quote. Makes me want to read a biography of Lady Jane Grey. Even though I know who she was, I don't know much about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lady Jane Grey! She is my personal heroine. Here are two of my favourite book recommendations about her:

    http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Day-Queen-England-Lady/dp/0852346131

    http://www.amazon.com/Coronation-Glory-Story-Lady-Jane/dp/0921100787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286977165&sr=1-1

    The first is the actual history of Lady Jane Grey and the second is a fictionalized account of her life. I love both books very much! I hope you can enjoy either or both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tessa. I'll check our local library for the Nine Day Queen. I tend to like history better than fiction...altho fiction can include a lot of insight into how people lived during the time period.
    Thanks for your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete