"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." ~ Matthew 5:8

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Train Ticket

Sometimes I'm reminded of how gracious God's timing is. I was recently re-reading a wonderful book: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. It is, by the way, a book worth reading and re-reading!

Corrie, author of The Hiding Place

 
Anyway, one night I was heart-heavy as I missed my beloved Aunt Jean, who went to be with Jesus in January. I ached and wept and mourned-and felt alone. Nothing could be further from the truth. "Please help me, Jesus," I prayed. "Comfort me and remind me of how good it is that she is with you"

At last I took up The Hiding Place in an effort to distract myself. Soon, I was weeping afresh; this time with joy! I was blown away by the tender love of my Heavenly Father. I knew it was no coincidence that I read this story from Corrie's childhood as she discussed her fear of death with her father:

"That night as he [father] stepped through the door, I burst into tears. "I need you! I sobbed. "You can't die! You can't!" Father sat down on the edge of the narrow bed. "Corrie," he began gently, "when you and I go to Amsterdam-when do I give you your ticket?"
 
I sniffed a few times, considering this."Why just before we get on the train."
"Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things too. Don't run out ahead of Him Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need-just in time."
 
And He has given the strength I need; though I may mourn, He is there. The hope of heaven is strong in my heart, and I know Aunt Jean is there. Though I miss her, I will see her again-in the presence of our Savior. Hallelujah!
 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your heart. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you will have a mother-in-law nearby after you marry who already loves you and will weep with you. Your waves of grief are going to continue for sometime since Aunt Jean was such a deeply-etched part of your life. You two had such a sweet friendship, despite a 60-year age difference.

    ReplyDelete